May 20, 2016

Almay Smart Shade Butter Kiss Lipstick (Nude Light/Medium) | Review + Swatches + Makeup Forever N9 Comparison


I was looking for something to replace my Makeup Forever N9 lipstick from the Sephora 2014 birthday gift (I just can't spend $20 on a lipstick), and somehow I came across the Almay Butter Kiss lipstick in Nude light/medium. They're really similar in shade: the ideal toffee coral peach.

OVERVIEW:
It seems like Almay's primary claim with the butter kiss line is that the lipsticks are moisturizing. Definitely true. The shades are classified by hue (pink, nude, red, berry) and skintone (light, light/medium, medium), but the whole skintone assignment is... eh (color preference, undertones, etc. make choosing a lipstick pretty subjective). 

PRICE / AMOUNT: $6-7/2.55g ($2.35/2.75/g), smaller than most lip products
(Almay has a $4 coupon every now and then in the newspaper)

INGREDIENTS: 
Polybutene, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Tridecyl Trimellitate, Octyldodecanol, Petrolatum*, Hydrogenated Polydecene, Neopentyl Glycol Diethylhexonoate, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Polyethylene, Ozokerite, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Hexyl Laurate, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Cera Alba ((Beeswax) Cire D Abeille), Squalane,Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Tribehenin, Sorbitan Isostearate, Palmitoyl Tripeptide-1, Tocopheryl Acetate, Silica, Synthetic Wax, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Aroma (Flavor), BHT, Benzoic Acid

May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 6 Lake (CI 15850), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15985), Red 33 Lake (CI 17200), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Carmine (CI 75470), Red 28 Lake (CI 45410).

* petroleum jelly

Lots of moisturizing ingredients.

PACKAGING: 
Typical plastic tube, but it has a clear cap that makes seeing the true color much easier. The main issue with this lipstick is that it's fairly messy—it melts and moves. My house isn't particularly hot, and I haven't seen other people have this issue so I'm not sure what's up.

gross dude
I have to twist up only a small amount, otherwise the bullet will get bent too much and get scraped by the tube. Even when I twist it up a little, it still happens, then when I go to put the cap back on, the buildup on the rim gets all over the inside of the tube. My lipstick broke from the base so I have to be careful when I use it. I owned the berry-light color before and I had the same issues of messiness and breakage.

I'm not sure if I would prefer this in a pot or not; I guess the tube is still functional.

SHADE / FINISH:
Nude light/medium is a warm toffee-pink nude. Unfortunately I used up the Makeup Forever Rouge Artist lipstick in N9 Copper Pink, so I don't have it on hand to do comparison swatches. Almay's is a little more brown and a shade darker; it's essentially a slightly more muted version of N9. Both lipsticks have the same cream finish.

(reference swatch below for accurate color representation)
PIGMENTATION: light-medium, not buildable (but can be sheered out)

APPLICATION / CONSISTENCY:
The lipstick applies best in a dabbing motion (swiping will shift the bullet more, making a mess), and it's very moisturizing so I don't need to prime my lips with a balm. It is thicker and more moisturizing than MUFE's; both are equally comfortable.

bare - 1 coat

SMELL: vanilla buttercream / sugar cookie

TASTE: none

WEAR / LONGEVITY: 4 hours; fades evenly and leaves a slight tack, similar to how lip gloss wears off

RATING: 9 / 10; point off for messiness, otherwise perfect

__________________________________________________________________________

SONG ALBUM OF THE POST: Porches - Scrap and Love Songs Revisited

Just listen to the whole album I guess

No comments:

Post a Comment