November 23, 2013

Maybelline Color Tattoo Metal (Barely Branded) | Review + Swatches


Maybelline's Eye Studio Color Tattoo Metal 24hr Cream Eyeshadow in Barely Branded retails for $6-7 and after seeing countless, positive reactions to these Color Tattoos, I was intrigued, especially towards this shimmery champagne color. Continue reading for a thorough review or skip to the bottom for a list of pros and cons.




Packaging: The cream shadow comes housed in the standard glass jar (4g/0.14oz). The top half of the jar contains the product and the bottom half is just glass. This mass of glass is deceitful since there appears to be quite a bit of product from the bottom view. However, this packaging is ideal due to its reliability (prevents product from prematurely drying) and somewhat luxurious feel. 

natural light - flash
opaque swatch - sheer swatch

watch to observe metallic finish

Color/Finish: Barely Branded is a champagne with very slight warm undertones, so really this shade is very versatile and suitable for a variety of skin tones.  It has a metallic finish, that isn't overbearing, with some shimmer. The video above demonstrates the finish. I love these types of tones. 

Texture: I've never used any other cream shadows, so I'm not sure if this is the typical consistency. I was expecting it to be a wet-creamy like a thick paste for some reason, but it is a drier, cream-to-powder texture which is appropriate for the eye area. It can be a little chunky when I pick it up with my finger, but luckily it blends out anyway. 

Application: I find using my fingers to be the most efficient and easiest way to apply this shadow all over the lid. So no brushes needed! But I did try using this with a thin, angled eyeliner brush, and it also worked great. One dab of the finger is enough to cover the lid for a light wash of color. I also use it on the inner corners using my pinky.

A versatile aspect of this shadow is that I was also able to pick up more product with the same ease of applying it on my lid; it wasn't chunky or thick. So you can easily change the intensity of the color. But, I wouldn't work in layers since it sets/dries relatively quickly, so it will clump up. It blends effortlessly and doesn't look patchy. 

I typically use this as a base because it increases the intensity of powdered eyeshadows while also giving matte shadows a pearly/sheen finish. Very pretty!

Longevity: This always creases in the inner area of my eye, but this inevitably happens with all my eyeshadows since I have partially hooded eyes and oilier lids. Its intensity fades throughout the day, but it doesn't disappear. Its intensity lasts best when used as a base for powdered eyeshadows. On its own for my lids, it won't last long. I'm sure with a good eye primer, this will last, and with primer and powdered eyeshadow, it will not budge.

The swatches on my hand lasted a good 2 days. It is also waterproof.

Pros:
  • Versatile color
  • Great base for eyeshadow
  • Easy to apply (no brushes required, blends easily)
  • Ideal texture (not chunky when blended, cream-to-powder)
  • Great packaging
  • Relatively long-lasting (w/ primer, powdered eyeshadow)
  • Waterproof
  • Controllable intensity
  • Sets quickly
  • Also works as an eyeliner
  • On the affordable end of cream shadows (why are cream shadows so expensive???)

Cons:
  • Vulnerable to creasing (especially on oily lids, hooded eyes)
  • Not buildable in layers 

Barely Branded is a great color and multi-functional, as well as good quality. Perfect for people who like quick and easy eyeshadow application since there's no fuss with brushes.

Available at Ulta, Amazon, and a majority of drugstores.

No comments:

Post a Comment