October 27, 2013

Flower Win Some, Rouge Some Crème Blush (Peach Blossom) | Review + Swatches


This cream blush by Drew Barrymore's makeup line "Flower" retails for $8 and has converted me to cream blushes. Flower claims on their website that this blush:
  • Conforms to skin for a soft “powder”-like finish
  • Blush transforms into a soft velvet veil on cheeks
  • Deposits gentle color for a healthy glow
  • Perfect for layering to build your desired look

I swear to god I found out that Flower claimed these about this blush after I wrote my review, and I am impressed and amazed that these claims are actually spot on and not just marketing ploys. The shade I have is Peach Blossom. It has a great texture (not sticky at all) and it's so easy to apply and blend. Definitely a favorite! Read on for a detailed review or skip to the bottom for a list of pros and cons. 






Packaging: The blush comes in a bulky, eyeshadow-compact-like pot. This is really the only downside to this product. The pan is a little bit larger than a quarter, so its small diameter makes application with a stippling brush a little difficult and messy since my brush is the same size as the pan and it can smear product onto the area surrounding the pan. Plus it's not as easy to store/travel with in comparison to a flatter compact. However, the packaging is undeniably clean and pretty with the white plastic and rose gold accents. The lid feels like acrylic plastic, which is thick and sturdy. The packaging is deceiving; it gives the illusion that there is a small amount of product. There is actually 4 grams (0.14 oz) of product, which is the same amount as a NYX powder blush. 


heavy swatch - blended swatch
natural light - flash (notice the minuscule amount of shimmer) 



Color: The shade "Peach Blossom" is a light peachy-coral with pink undertones (as opposed to orange undertones). It reminds me of the vibrant flesh of salmon (this is the most accurate description ok). I swatched this on paper next to the salmon Crayola colored pencil. The colored pencil is more pink. It also has a very minute amount of shimmer that is only visible in bright, artificial lighting, but if applied heavily, the shimmer is more apparent. It's very pretty and it suits my light yellow-undertone skin. It is not overwhelmingly bright and looks quite natural, but the color can be built up for a more dramatic effect. I am unsure if this will suit deeper skintones due to its light hue. 

This blush also comes in Pure Petunia, Forget-Me-Not, Rose-o-den-dron, Primrose & Proper, and Elegant Azalea (6 shades total). The range seems to be varying shades of pink, with the exception of Rose-o-den-dron which looks more brown. I plan on getting either Primrose & Proper or Elegant Azalea since they look like nice midtone pinks without cool undertones.

Application: I apply this with a stippling brush first so that I can evenly distribute the color in a precise manner. Then I use my fingers to blend/melt the product into my skin. This gives me a very natural finish. (edit: I actually prefer to apply this with my fingers in a patting motion now. It's easier and quicker than using the stippling brush). This isn't difficult to blend, it's just that it sets quicker when pressed into the skin. Since it sets quickly and has a thin texture, this is buildable. 

Texture/finish: The mousse-like texture of this won me over, and it sets this blush apart from other cream blushes. It's denser than mousse, but it has that fluff-to-flat(?) transitional stage. That was such a poor description, but it doesn't have that wet feel, which I expected due to its label as a cream. Since it isn't wet, it doesn't have a dewy finish. Rather, it has a skin-like finish. Not matte, dewy, satin, velvet, pearly, frosty, or whatever. It also dries to a powder texture, so it doesn't feel heavy, sticky, or thick.

Longevity: The longevity of this blush is also impressive. The swatches on my hand were just as vivid after I took a shower, and even when I rubbed the blush, it did not budge or fade. I was amazed at how well it set. It was still visible on my hand after a couple of days (although it did lose intensity). On the face, it doesn't last as long, of course, due to the fact that there is a layer of (in my case) tinted moisturizer in between my skin and the blush. But my blush wasn't completely gone by the end of the day. It only faded a little bit. The longevity of the blush is very dependent on what sort of base you have on (if your foundation starts to break down, the blush goes down with it). The weather is colder now where I live, so this blush will definitely last even longer since I'm not sweating all my makeup off.

Ingredients: hydrogenated polyisobutane, synthetic wax, silica, dimethicone, nylon-12, diethylhexyl succinate, zea mays (corn) starch, microcrystalline wax, dimethicone/vinyl dimethicone crosspolymer, octyldodecyl stearoyl stearate, octyldodecanol, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil, cetearylethylhexanoate, carthamius tinctorius (safflower) seed oil, tocopheryl acetate, laureth-4, tocopherol, lecithin, ascorbyl palmitate, glyceryl stearate, glycerl oleate, citric acid

May contain: mica, titanium dioxide, iron oxides, ultramarines, zinc oxide, manganese violet, ferric ammonium ferrocyanide, ferric ferrocyanide carmine, chromium oxide greens, chromium hydroxide green, red 6, red 7, red 7 lake, red 28 lake, red 30 lake, yellow 5 lake, yellow 6 lake, blue 1 lake

Pros:
  • Not sticky
  • Blendable
  • Buildable
  • Natural finish
  • Long-lasting
  • Doesn't feel heavy
  • Minimal shimmer (pro or con depending on personal preference)
  • Sturdy packaging
  • Relatively affordable (not the cheapest, but over half the price of most high-end cream blushes)
  • Can be adequately applied with fingers
Cons: 
  • Bulky packaging
  • Small pan makes application with a brush more difficult and messy
  • Limited shade range
  • Only available at Wal-Mart

I recommend Flower's cream blush to anyone interested in trying cream blushes or are looking for a good cream blush, especially those who have had negative experiences with sticky cream blushes. 

Available exclusively at Wal-Mart.

No comments:

Post a Comment