September 14, 2013

NYX Butter Lip Balm (Macaron, Red Velvet, Brownie, Panna Cotta) | Review + Swatches

Macaron - Red Velvet - Brownie - Panna Cotta

These tinted lip balms by NYX provide a hydrating wash of color on the lips and retail for $4. I don't know how similar these are to NYX's previous Color Lip Balm line. I have the delectable shades Macaron, Red Velvet, Brownie, and Panna Cotta but it also comes in Lady Fingers, Parfait, Marshmallow, Biscotti (8 shades total). The first thing I noticed was the scent. Ahhh, they smell exactly like the taste of the blue raspberry Dum Dums (my favorite flavor), but they don't taste like anything which I guess helps with staying power... Anyway, read on for a detailed review or skip to the bottom for a condensed list of pros and cons! 


Packaging: The packaging is the typical twist-up tube, reminiscent of the Chapstick format. I prefer tinted lip balms to be in a tube rather than a jar because it's more convenient for re-application and I don't have to necessarily use my fingers. The color of the tube matches the exact color inside which is great, but keep in mind that these are sheer so the applied color will be a diluted hue of the tube. 

Application/Texture: These actually make my lips feel hydrated and soft, unlike Maybelline's Baby Lips, but they don't glide on as easily as Baby Lips. This is really apparent on the first use; I think it had to warm up first to glide on easier. But after using them a couple times, they work fine. I have to use a mirror for Red Velvet because I am not skilled in applying lip color within the boundaries of my lips. These also accentuate dry areas of you lips, so I like to blend the colors out using my finger.

Colors: Since these are tinted lip balms, they are sheer. Of course, the brighter colors, like Red Velvet, will appear to be more pigmented, but really it just contrasts more. I say that the pigmentation is consistent. 

Macaron - Red Velvet - Brownie - Panna Cotta
natural light - flash

Macaron is a light coral apricot with flecks of glitter. It can look a little frosty because of the shimmer. The color is not that apparent on my lips, but I like to mix it with the other colors.

(in all the lip swatch collages, the photos go from natural light to flash 
with a comparison to my natural lip color)

Red Velvet is a bright pinky-red or hot pink. It brightens up my whole look and the color is just really pretty. The finish is a light sheen. This color can look streaky since it's bright so I use my finger to blend out the color.


Brownie is a neutral rosy pink subdued by a hint of brown with a creamy, faint sheen finish. It is a very natural, everyday pink. My favorite of the bunch. 


Panna Cotta is a light natural pink with mildly cooler-blue undertones with a light sheen finish. Sometimes it looks nice, but other times it looks off on me since it can clash with my warm undertones. Nice texture though; it's creamy and not streaky.


Longevity: The hydrating feeling lasts for about 3 hours, but the color lasts until you eat, drink, or wipe it off. These do not stain, but the Macaron shade's glitter likes to stick around. Oh, the nature of glitter. 

Ingredients: mineral oil, ceresin, polybutene, octyldodecanol, synthetic wax, hydrogenated polyisobutene, silica, petrolatum, pentaerythrityl tetraisostearate, butyrospermum parkii (shea) butter, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, stearoxymethicone/dimethicone copolymer, euphorbia cerifera (candelilla) wax, beeswax, phenoxyethanol, tocopheryl acetate, bisabolol, fragrance, linalool, limonene. 

May contain: mica, titanium dioxide (CI 77891), iron oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), red 6 (CI 15850), red 7 lake (CI 15850), red 28 lake (CI 45410), yellow 6 lake (CI 15985), yellow 5 lake (CI 19140). 

Pros:
  • Great pigmentation for a tinted lip balm
  • Hydrating
  • Smooth
  • Lasts until you eat/drink
Cons:
  • Accentuates dry areas
  • Sometimes requires the use of fingers to even out the color
  • The glitter in the shade Macaron can stick around

Overall, I'm satisfied with these and I recommend them to anyone looking for a hydrating wash of color for the lips that's easy to reapply.

Available at NYX, Cherry Culture, and Ulta.

No comments:

Post a Comment