September 14, 2013

NYX Eyebrow Cake Powder (Black/Gray) | Review + Swatches


This eyebrow kit by NYX contains 2 brow powders, a wax, and mini applicators for $6. It's pretty hard to find a brow powder geared towards the black-haired audience, especially at an affordable cost, and I'm not one who wants to have brown eyebrows with black hair so I had to try this out. The eyebrow cake powder also comes in dark brown/brown, taupe/ash, auburn/red, brunette, and blonde. I'm quite satisfied with this. Read on for a detailed review or skip to the bottom for a condensed list of pros and cons.

Packaging: This is a sleek, compact kit made of durable plastic with a secure closure. The wax is the size of a penny, in case that gives you an idea of the kit's size. It comes with two mini applicators: an angled brush and a spoolie, making this an ideal travel item. It opens left to right and for some reason that bothers me; it's like starting a book from the back cover. But, whatever, sashay past the trivialities. 


The angled brush is not cut straight, but rather in an odd curve with a dip. Luckily, this doesn't affect the application. It's dense and firm but scratchy, so I'd rather use a better angled brow brush. In a pinch, this is adequate and I'm fine with using this when traveling instead of hauling excessive brushes. The size is nice to get close to the mirror, too. The spoolie does exactly what it's supposed to do (which for me is to blend the powder and comb my brows), so no problem there. 

Powders: The pigmentation is appropriate for an eyebrow powder; it's not as pigmented as an eyeshadow, so the powder is easier to work with and it creates more natural results. 


The black is more of a charcoal and has no apparent undertone and the gray is quite unique. It has a cool undertone, a hint of purple, but looks completely natural on the eyebrow. I love that this comes with 2 shades. I allows me to use the gray for the majority of my brows and the charcoal for sparser areas, or I can use more of the charcoal to balance a more dramatic eye look. Yay versatility!

Wax: My brows don't need much taming so wax is pretty much futile in my case. However, I do use it after applying the powders by swirling my finger in it then dabbing it on my brows. Then, I use the spoolie to comb my brows since I messed the hairs up using the angled brush. I've read from various sources that the wax feels greasy and leaves the brows looking glossy. This is not the case for me. It might be that I use the wax sparingly, but it feels like a drier lip balm rather than Vaseline. It doesn't feel like wax though. 


Ingredients: Black shade: mica, dimethicone, caprylic/capric triglyceride, nylon-12, magnesium stearate, polymethyl metacrylate, bis-diglyceryl polyacyladipate-2, phenoxyethanol, aloe barbadensis leaf extract, caprylyl glycol, alumina, triethoxycaprylylsilane, iron oxide black (CI 77499), titanium dioxide (CI 77891), iron oxide red (CI 77491), iron oxide yellow (CI 77492).

Gray shademica, dimethicone, caprylic/capric triglyceride, nylon-12, magnesium stearate, polymethyl metacrylate, bis-diglyceryl polyacyladipate-2, phenoxyethanol, aloe barbadensis leaf extract, caprylyl glycol, iron oxide black (CI 77499), iron oxide red (CI 77491)

Wax/gel: polybutene, caprylic/capric triglyceride, bis-diglyceryl polyacyladipate-2, copernicia cerifera (caranauba) wax, beeswax, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, phenoxyethanol, caprylyl glycol, lecithin, tocopheryl acetate, tocopherol 

Pros: 
  • Travel-friendly
  • Great spoolie
  • Easy to blend
  • Natural result
  • Two shades allows for customization and versatility
  • Affordable black/gray eyebrow powder (unique)
Cons:
  • Wax is sub-par, might not tame the wilder end of the spectrum of brows
  • Scratchy angled brush
I recommend this to people looking for an affordable brow powder that is suitable for black hair.

Available at NYX, Cherry Culture, Ulta, and Amazon.

1 comment: